When you have serious tax issues, you need someone who knows tax law

Why Is Your Tax Return Being Rejected?

Why Is Your Tax Return Being Rejected?

Tax return rejections are a frustrating, but fairly common experience. You may be able to correct the mistake that caused the rejection or submit a paper return if you can’t get an acceptance using e-file.

Correcting Errors

Probably the most common reason returns are rejected is simple typos or errors. Your return could be rejected if you entered any of the following information incorrectly:

  • Your name
  • Date of birth
  • Your Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Your dependent’s SSN
  • Your prior-year AGI, which is used to verify your identity

These mistakes can be fixed quite simply. You can then e-file your return again and wait from a response from the IRS.

Returns can also be rejected due to math errors or missing forms, but tax software programs used by individual taxpayers or professional tax preparers will usually catch these mistakes before your file.

Tax ID Theft

The IRS will only accept one return for each SSN. This includes the primary taxpayer, joint taxpayer, or any dependents claimed on the return.

If someone else stole your personal information or one of your dependent’s personal information, you will not be able to e-file your return. You will keep getting rejections, and there’s no way around this problem other than to file a paper return and submit it by mail.

You can find fillable forms online and print them. Then, send them to the correct IRS office, which is based on your location.

Along with your tax return, you should complete and submit Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. This form notifies the IRS that you are a victim of tax identity theft.

Your account will be handed over to the Identity Theft Victim Assistance organization, which will examine your case. Unfortunately, your return may take longer than usual to process and you can expect your tax refund check to be delayed.

Tax Filing Deadlines

If the deadline is approaching and your return is being rejected, don’t panic. Just file your return electronically or by mail as soon as possible to avoid tax penalties.

You can also request a free automatic six-month extension to file, but be aware that you could be charged late payment penalties if you owe taxes on your return.

The Gartzman Law Firm can help you resolve tax identity theft issues and tax debt problems. Use our contact form to request a consultation with an Atlanta tax resolution attorney.