When you have serious tax issues, you need someone who knows tax law

Signs You May Be a Victim of Tax Identity Theft

Signs You May Be a Victim of Tax Identity Theft

Tax identity theft occurs whenever someone uses your personal information to file a tax return or complete any other tax form. If you’re a victim of tax identity theft, you may have to deal with the following consequences:

  • Delay of tax return processing and tax refund.
  • The IRS may attempt to collect taxes from you that you don’t actually owe.
  • You may need to take additional steps to confirm your identity before you file your tax return.

A tax identity theft attorney can help you sort out these issues with the IRS. Watch out for the following signs that someone has stolen your identity for tax purposes.

Rejected Return

If your return is rejected because someone else has filed using your Social Security Number, that should be a red flag that you’re a victim of identity theft. Identity thieves may try to file fraudulent returns early in the tax season before you’ve had a chance to file.

Your only option will be to file a paper tax return and submit it by mail. You should also complete the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit and submit it along with your tax return.

The IRS Identity Theft Victim Assistance organization will need to review your case. Unfortunately, these cases can take a year or more to resolve.

You may be placed into the Identity Protection PIN program, which adds another layer of security when you file your tax return.

IRS Notices

The IRS may flag certain suspicious returns when they are filed. You may receive Letter 4883C, which asks you to confirm your identity before the return is accepted.

You’ll need to follow the steps outlined in the letter to confirm your identity. The IRS will then ask you whether you actually filed the return. If you didn’t file it, the return will be removed from your tax records.

Other IRS notices may also tip you off to a possible case of identity theft. For example, if you receive notices about a tax bill for a year you didn’t file a tax return, it could be a sign of tax identity theft.

If you believe you’re a victim of tax identity theft, contact a tax attorney to discuss your options for resolving your case.

Get help with tax identity theft by calling The Gartzman Law Firm at (770) 939-7710. We can deal with the IRS on your behalf and get fraudulent returns removed from your tax records.